7.21.2008

Rez Life

It seems like the most powerful books I'm reading these days are meant for young adults...a far cry from The Babysitters' Club (though I freely admit that I read and loved those, and Sweet Valley High, too - and still harbor a little fantasy that I could come up with a series as fruitful - it's like perpetual motion, and they're really all the same, but you just keep reading the next book, and it's fabulous). The one I just read is Sherman Alexie's book The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Whether or not you're familiar with life on the rez (and I am only tangentially) this book is worth reading. There's just something so true about his writing, a truth that goes deeper than the stories (his other stuff is good too). I know that isn't very descriptive, but it's the best way I can articulate it. And the cartoons are great. Note to self: start hanging out by the YA shelves at the library...

No comments: